Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Football


I loved playing football. I wasn't the best on the field, (in fact on my best day I was barely average) but I loved to play. I was very blessed to play one of the greatest sports in the world. Those of you that have played football probably agree. I learned a lot of life lessons on the ole' grid iron. To be honest with you, I don't remember much of the high school days. I can remember some big plays and big games (partially) but overall, I can't remember a lot of details. I can remember a little more in college. But, not much. I am not sure if it was shots to the head, or just the growing distance from that time. But what I do remember is the thrill, effort, energy, excitement, sadness, passion, pain, joy, or basically any emotion you can think of. I know you may not realize it, but I was not drafted by the Cowboys. After my playing days in college were done, I hung my pads up for the last time. I can remember that day. I had played that sport for 10 years straight. That day in Canyon, Texas I walked away from that locker never to stand in front of that locker again as a football player. You know I still dream of playing. It is a regular dream that I have often. It isn't like other reoccurring dreams I have, you know the ones were you can't fight or run? No, in my football dreams I am playing...running after the ball, really getting after it. It is odd. My 88 year old grandfather told me the other day that he still dreams of playing football too. I wonder if I will when I am 88.

2 comments:

Ryan Mills said...

i do too. except in my dreams i always get to pregame but I never actually get to play the game. i either wake up or the dream goes another direction.

Marci said...

funny, I was going to say the same thing about ryan...usually he runs someone over in his dream and in reality it is me!