Monday, November 16, 2009

A little scare


It has been a crazy week. I had a little scare the other day with my platelet count. You heard me, platelet. I kinda remember what those were from science class, but to be honest with you, I haven't paid them much mind since Sophomore year in high school. I knew that they are in the blood, I knew they do good things for you, and I knew that you had to have them.
I am a closet NASCAR fan. I don't like to brag about that...but, I love it!
On the last day of the weekend at the November race, I noticed some red dots around my ankle in the shower. I thought nothing of it. In fact, I remember thinking, "I didn't know my ankles did that if the water was too hot!"-stupid.
I had a great day at the race. We came home and went to work the next day. On Tuesday, I noticed the same spots and some bruises on my hands. I started to get a little freaked out then, but not too nervous. I thought maybe I had gotten into something at NASCAR like food poisoning or something. (After all, hanging out with 150,000 rednecks, who knows!)
On Wednesday is when I got SCARED! I woke up with a mouth full of blood and a blood covered tongue and the red spots were all over my feet and hands and had bruised all over my legs....CRAP!
I got up, got dressed, fed the kids, showered, shaved, and brushed my teeth...just praying that I wasn't falling apart. All the while I was doing that, blood was pouring out of my mouth and gums pretty easily.-Not trying to gross you out...but it was pretty gross. I headed to work and immediately got with a couple of friends and asked them to have a look. After they all told me to go to the hospital, I called our family Dr. and he told me to come see him.
I could go on and on about our fine Doctors at CRMC-they are so good. Dr. Mike basically got it right on the phone. Dr. Green agreed when they saw me and they sent me on my way to Amarillo. What they discovered with my blood was that I was critically low of platelets. Normal range is 150,000-450,00. I was at 2,000! I knew that number couldn't be good and with the way that the conversation with Dr. Mike was going, I knew there was a concern. At this point I am fairly nervous. They knew that I was. This is were it gets really scary, but so special, and I will never forget it as long as I live.
Right before I was whisked away to Amarillo the two Doctors, (Green and Henderson) shut the door and grabbed me by the hands and prayed over me. There was such a turn around in the room. I had gone from thinking I am in trouble and alone and scared...to, these guys are honestly concerned with me and love me and want me to get well and are asking our God to watch over me. One of the many humbling things I would experience in this ordeal.
FAST FORWARD-if you are still reading, just know this: There are a lot of people who don't get good news. They get bad news and it gets worse. A lot of people go through this world without experiencing the love and opportunity that I have been blessed with. I feel awkward at this point bragging about this because I am alright.
I'll close with this. I am recovering. God willing, this was a freak deal, and I am all better.
We all go through scares in our lives. I know that I will have some more. This by far was.....well, it was one of them. I found through this event that I am loved and cared for by many people. I am humbled by their prayers, thoughts, and concerns. Nothing like laying in a hospital bed at night knowing that someone is praying to God for YOU right at that same moment....nothing like it in the world.
Thanks to all who asked, fed us, came by, called, and of course prayed for us. It is the perfect picture of what God wants us to do on this earth while we are here. To look after one another. To care for one another. And to love one another.

2 comments:

Alana said...

We do love you and that sweet family of yours! I am so glad that you are on the mend...The Chisum's definitely need some Kirkpatrick family time soon.

Anonymous said...

Glad you are feeling better buddy!! No more scares....Randy Allen