Thursday, December 18, 2008

Change


Christmas brings about great feelings and joy. It also brings about thoughts of change when reflecting on or looking back on past Christmas holidays. I read Sharon Blackburn's blog and she really got me to thinking. (Great post, Sharon!)
Last Christmas was a tough one for my family. My mom got sick and had to stay in the hospital over the Christmas break. She spent Christmas morning in a hospital bed. It was awful. I felt so sorry for her. (and being selfish, sorry for myself, cause I didn't have my mom with us at Christmas!)
My cousin was dying of pancreatic cancer, and we all knew she wouldn't be with us much longer. That was tough.
A family tradition on my mom's side is we (35+ people) all sing Christmas songs and always end with "silent night" before we open gifts.
Last year no one but the kids made it through "silent night" cause Teri Jane, (my cousin) and my mom. As I look back on that night I think how bad that feeling was. But in the same thought, I am reminded of how thankful I am that God provided me that memory of Teri in her rocking chair singing, laughing, and spending Christmas with us one last time...As long as I live I will never forget that and other images of that night. That in a sense I guess is what it is really all about...
Merry Christmas everybody! I hope this year's Christmas fills you with joy, peace, love, and happiness!

No comments: