Saturday, May 2, 2009

Hello there, blog.....


Marriage.
Seems like there has been a lot of conversation about marriage lately. Most of it has not been good. I am saddened like all of us to know that some of our good good friends are hurting. It also makes us all turn and look at our own marriages. All makes us wonder. It makes us all realize we are not immune. We can't judge the folks that are going through this either. It is their private struggle, all we can do is pray that it all will work out for them.
Which brings me to my reason for this post.
What a guy should do in his marriage:
1. Put your wife's needs in front of your own.
This is hard to do. But, the attempt to try everyday is key in this working.
2. Listen to your wife talk even though what she has to say bores you.
This is hard to do. But, listen don't just hear her...pay attention to what she is saying. Chances are you are not really that interested. But you owe it to her to listen and be a part of the conversation. I realize it isn't very important to you what it is she is saying, but this falls into the category of "putting her needs in front of yours"
3. Run your household...you are the man...Be the man. Pay bills, make decisions, make her proud.
4. Do the dishes after she cooks.
5. Make her home something she is proud to show off to her friends.
6. Let her know your fears.
7. Let her know what you want her to do.
8. Love her family.
9. Tell her how beautiful she is.
10. Hold her at night and not expect sex.
11. Rub her back and not expect sex.
12. Hold her hand in public.
13. Brag about her to your guy friends in front of her.
14. Discipline your children appropriately.
15. Take her on a date. (With no kids)
16. Fold laundry and not expect a reward for doing it.
17. Don't take her for granted.
18. Remember, there was a time that you thought you couldn't live without her. Try feeling that way again more often.
19. Kiss her on the lips at least once a day.
20. Let her hear you say you love her once a day.
21. Make her proud to be your wife and mother of your children.
22. Understand that most times when she is talking to you about a problem she doesn't want a fix, she wants an ear to hear her. If she wants you to fix it, she will tell you.
23. Write her a love note for no reason.
24. If she has got something big at work going on, write her a love note.
25. Smell good before you go to bed. (body and breathe)
26. Try and stay in shape for her.
27. Plan vacations together.
28. Calm her during storms.
29. Turn the t.v. off.
30. Lastly, love her like she deserves to be loved.
There are more bits of advice out there I am sure. Some of the points I mentioned are probably pretty crude. But, I feel they are important.
I love my wife. I love the fact that our marriage is a work in progress. We struggle just like all marriages. I know that at the end of a hard day or a great day, my bride is always there. I am so thankful God gave me her. There are times I know that I don't deserve her. "She is every woman."

5 comments:

TREY MORGAN said...

Great list .... liked them all. Don't for get "Be the spiritual leader in the home." That's very important to women and it's a task God has given to the men. Unfortunately the women have had to do it because the men have dropped the ball.

Ginger Wilson said...

What a great list KP! Number 8 "love her family" is something I can see you do for your awesome wife. I know the way you love her parents and John, Sarah and Emily is just one of the hundreds of reasons Amanda loves you!

You are right about listening and not fixing. I know sometimes I talk to Jeff about a problem and just want him to listen to me vent. Somehow telling him my problems make them seem not as big!

Glad you are back to blogging! Great post!

Charla (SHar-la) said...

Erik, I am blown away! What a great post! I was reading it aloud to Richard just now and I had to stop a couple of times as I got choked up. My favorite right now, because it is pertinent to me, and I'm so glad you included it is: "Make her house something she is proud to show to her friends." I'm proud you have realized that is something very important to a woman! Amanda is very, very blessed and obviously you know you are, too!

Sharon said...

This is a great post KP! I'm so happy to have wonderful friends like you and Amanda that share the same values that Chris and I do. It's a good feeling to have confidence in your friends! These are special words you shared - Thanks!

Francesca said...

LOVE IT, think I might post it on the fridge...