Thursday, December 24, 2009

Auntie


This time of year always brings on great memories. My mind is always filled of traditions and people that were involved with them. Of all my childhood memories there is a person there who is always smiling and happy and loving. She is my Auntie. I would like to share with you a little bit about this special, great lady. She is my one of my mom's older sisters. She has been a very important part of my life. As a child, growing up in Burk, there was seldom a day that went by that I didn't see her, or tell her that I loved her. Since my mom went to work early in the morning, Auntie would take all of us to school. She would also take us home from school. She was always around. The great thing about that was that it was perfectly normal. In fact, if auntie for some reason wasn't around, it would cause great concern. It was the way it was because, well, it just was! She always was there with a smile and hug and an unbelievable desire to make you feel like the most important person in the room. I could and can always count on her to be on my side and one of my biggest fans. Of course there were times she set me straight too! (because I no doubt needed it)
We all have aunts and uncles in our lives or family members that we take for granted. I know I have spent a lifetime of assuming that I would always see Auntie at least every other day.
Those days are gone now. Auntie is still a phone call away, but I miss her. I wish we could see more of her. I wish my kids could experience Auntie's love on a daily basis like I did. (Don't get me wrong, my kids have GREAT-special aunts...but, not an Auntie.)
As I look back on all those wonderful Christmas mornings, I remember how me and Tonya would show off all of our stuff, and Auntie would make over them like she was just as surprised as we were...little did we know she was with mom when mom or santa got them!
We could always count on Auntie..still can...for her smile, hugs, laughter, ears, and most of all her undying love for her sister and her sister's kids!

No comments: