Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Humble


I can’t specifically remember the story…but, I get the point of the story. It goes something like this:

A man who is down and out and tired of carrying his burdens around, compares it to walking around carrying his “cross”-his burden.

He is allowed by God, to go to a room and change or trade-in his cross for someone else’s.

As he enters the room he notices a ton of crosses. Before he can really focus on what cross to trade for his, he sets his cross down by the door.

As he starts shopping for a new cross or burden to carry he starts to notice that all the crosses in the room are bigger and more scary looking than his. But, luckily he notices one over by the door that isn’t too big and looks a lot better than any other cross in the room. He goes over to that cross and picks it out to trade. Then God tells him that that cross is the one he came in with.

I don’t know if that is how the story goes exactly, but you get the jest.

This story really got personal for me with all this infusion stuff. My infusions are going well. In fact, besides boredom and puffyness, they are going great.

There are a lot of sick people that come to the place I get my infusions. I am young, healthy, and getting better. Some of these folks are just the opposite. I am served a big piece of humble pie when I come here. Some or most of these people aren’t going to get any better. In fact, they are here just to stay alive. I am so humbled by their attitude and appearance. I can’t imagine what they are going through. I am lucky. I am getting better. These guys are so brave. Most have injection ports and numerous bags of medicine going into their already weak bodies. I am sitting here fat, bloated and constantly squirming because I have the audacity to complain how boring it is to sit here and wait for my one bag of medicine to empty.

It is the Tuesday before Christmas. I wonder for how many in this room it is their last Christmas. It makes me ashamed to feel sorry for myself and my platelet ordeal.

So, to say the least, I am very thankful and humble throughout this whole ordeal….I am thankful for my family, my God, and my health.

FYI: My count is up to 129,000. That is good stuff. I am coming down off the steroids gradually and just one more week of infusions. It is our hope that we maybe have this thing kicked. Either way, I am so blessed for the recovery. All thanks be to God.

2 comments:

Amy said...

The Horton's are so glad you are doing better! You have a great attitude! We REALLY need to get together over the break and ride horses!!:)

MammaBotos said...

I am glad that things are going well for you. I know it must be tough but w/an awesome family that surrounds you daily, your bound to get through it! Proud of ya KP!